måndag 14 november 2022

Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love (1985)



Somewhere in the depth there is a light

“Hounds of love” is the album by Kate Bush for me. It’s the one I have loved over the years. Her magnum opus. Sadly, I was kind of disappointed by the follow-up album “The sensual world” and I lost track of Kate for many years. Kate’s music was not there any longer, the picture in my mind of her froze in time and in that picture “Hounds of love” is number one.

The album is a tale of two sides. On side A we get the well-known songs, all the singles. The second side is however to me the more interesting. It’s an one-sided concept album. It should be listened to in one go. Kate calls it “The Ninth Wave”. It is glorious.

But the first side first. Opening with “Running up that hill”, a song maybe too well known for some connoisseurs, but I love it immensely. The song was used to perfection in the fourth season of “Stranger Things”, the hit tv show. I was amazed how they used it not only a mood setter but an integral part of the story. Funny how the song come to be number one on the charts some 37 years after it was released! 

Hounds of love” and “The big sky” are good but not my favourites even though the latter is quite heavy with drums that reminds me of Peter Gabriels sound.

“Mother stands for comfort” is oddly comforting. The song’s protagonist is the mother of a murderer, but she still loves and protects him. Like in a Pink Floyd production we have sounds from real life evoking feelings. The sounds of breaking glass are ominous and foretelling perhaps. The melody is outside-in but controlled by Kate’s voice comforting us.

Cloudbusting” is the one with that music video, you know? You know! This is a damn good song, I must say. It just makes me happy.

“The Ninth wave” should be played on loud volume on your record player! I sat in my favourite chair and listened to it with my headphones. It is soo damned good. The story of a woman drowning after her ship went under. The woman is maybe saved, maybe she dies and is reborn again. As a lifelong sailor this “song” speak to me on multiple levels.

The music flows and builds up to a majestic ending. The last three tracks are the best; the “Jig of life” with the Irish folk music influences, the dramatic “Hello Earth” with the marvellous singing by Kate, and “The morning fog” as a gentle soothing song to round the album off. “Hello Earth” is impossibly beautiful and I always feel like crying when I hear it.

We have a new leader in the club house. This is the best album in her catalogue. Will it keep the lead all the way?

My rating: 9/10

Side A: The Hounds of Love
1. Running up that hill (a deal with God)
2. Hounds of love
3. The big sky
4. Mother stands for comfort
5. Cloudbusting

Side B: The Ninth Wave
2. Under ice
3. Waking the witch
4. Watching you without me
5. Jig of life
6. Hello Earth
7. The morning fog

Best songs: “Running up that hill”, “Cloudbusting”, “The Ninth Wave” with highlights “Jig of life”, “Hello Earth” and “The morning fog”.

Produced by: Kate Bush

Released: September 16, 1985

Media: Remastered 180 gram vinyl, reissued in 2018 (part of Remastered In Vinyl II)

Stranger Things season 4 spoilers: Max's song (full scene)

All my music related reviews and posts are found on the blog within the blog, OneLouder.reviews.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar